Get help in your language

We can book a qualified interpreter to help us speak with you about your legal problem.

When you contact us, tell us the language you prefer to speak and we will arrange an interpreter.

logo for interpreters

What if I need an interpreter?

We do our best to help clients who have trouble speaking or understanding English. If you prefer to speak another language, we can arrange for an interpreter to help speak with you about your legal problem

When you call the Infoline or come into one of our offices, tell us what language you speak. We will book an interpreter for you and make a time for you to speak with us using the interpreter.

If would like to use an interpreter in an appointment, please let us know at the time the appointment is made.

We can book Auslan interpreters if you have trouble speaking or hearing English.

What interpreters does Legal Aid WA use?

We book accredited and confidential interpreters through:

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, telephone calls to the Infoline or with our lawyers can be made using the National Relay Service.

Who pays for the interpreter? 

Legal Aid WA pays for the interpreters that we book.

Can I use someone I know (like a friend or relative) to interpret for me?

We prefer to only use independent and accredited interpreters when we are discussing your legal problem. Your friend or relative can help you ask us to book an interpreter. They can come to the appointment with you for support, but not to be the interpreter.

What if I am appearing in court?

If you have a court date in the Magistrates Court, you can ask the court in advance to book an interpreter. You will need to tell the court the date you are appearing and the language you speak. The Magistrates Court of WA website has the contact details for each courthouse.

To book an interpreter for the Children's Court, you need to fill out an Interpreter Request Form and send it to the Children’s Court Registry. Interpreters can be booked for family members as well as for children appearing in the Children’s Court.

The court will pay for the interpreter. The court will need to order an interpreter for every court date.

If an interpreter is not available on your court date, you can ask the court to put your matter off to another day and to have an interpreter there next time. If there is a duty lawyer at court, ask if they can help speak for you in court.



Information about our services is available in different languages below. If you think another language should be included, please let us know to help improve our website.

عربي / Arabic

বাংলা / Bengali

မြန်မာစာ / Burmese

中文 / Chinese

Hrvatski / Croatian

دری / Dari

Thuoeñjäñ / Dinka

فار س / Farsi

Wikang Filipino / filipino

Français / French

Deutsch / German

Ελληvικά / Greek

हिंदी / Hindi

Bahasa Indonesia / Indonesian

Italiano / Italian

日本語 Nihongo / Japanese

Ikirundi / Kirundi

한국어 / Korean

Bahasa melayu / Malaysian

Polski / Polish

پنجابی paṉjābī / Punjabi

русский язык / Russian

Српски / Serbian

Español / Spanish

Wikang Tagalog / Tagalog

தமிழ் Tamiḻ / Tamil

ไทย – ไทย / Thai

ትግርኛ / Tigrinya

Türkçe / Turkish

Việt-ngữ / Vietnamese

English version


Reviewed: 27 April 2018

Need help?

The Infoline can give information about the law and our services to help with your legal problem.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.