Get legal advice

Legal Aid WA offers legal advice and assistance on many different criminal, family and civil law issues. How we can help you depends on the type of legal problem, your personal situation, and our resources.

Appointments are for personal and confidential advice. If your appointment is at one of our offices, please bring identification and any relevant paperwork with you. If you have a telephone appointment, we will tell you how to send us copies of your paperwork in advance. If possible, try to get someone else to look after your children during the appointment.

We do not deal with every legal problem.

Contact us to find out more about what we can do and to make an appointment for legal advice.

Get legal advice about your legal problem

We offer appointments for legal advice on a wide range of matters, including:

  • criminal and traffic offences in the Magistrates Court and Children’s Court (if referred by a duty lawyer)
  • separation and divorce, child support, recovery orders, parenting plans and orders, protection and care applications
  • family violence and restraining orders
  • consumer rights, debts, insurance claims, mortgage stress, motor vehicle property damage, compensation for victims of crime
  • unpaid court fines and infringements, and Work & Development Permits
  • elder abuse, including concerns about misuse of powers of attorney
  • applications for Extraordinary Driver's Licences and removing driver's licence disqualifications
  • guardianship and administration matters in the State Administrative Tribunal
  • cases in the Federal Court or Federal Circuit Court if you are not represented
  • some appeals and reviews in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, including NDIS appeals.

After we have more information about your situation and legal problem, we can let you know if you should apply to get a lawyer to run your case

What if my issue is not mentioned in the list?

We try our best to help with as many issues as possible, so not everything we do has been included in the list.  If your legal problem is not mentioned, you should call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to see if we can help.

We do not give advice or legal assistance about:

  • Building disputes
  • Contract, debt or tenancy disputes if it relates to a business you run or own
  • Conveyancing and property transactions
  • Defamation
  • Intellectual property
  • Legal costs
  • Neighbour disputes about dividing fences, dogs, trees or nuisance
  • Personal injury claims from a motor vehicle accident
  • Professional negligence
  • Prosecutions that are not started by the police, Director of Public Prosecutions, or Department of Justice - Corrective Services (except offences under the Animal Welfare Act, Dog Act or Public Transport Authority Act)
  • Residential tenancy 
  • Strata titles
  • Taxation and prosecutions for unpaid taxes
  • Drafting wills
  • Inheritance including probate and letters of administration
  • Workers’ compensation.

Information about some of these topics and where you can get help is in Find legal answers.

Get help

To ask about having an appointment for legal advice, call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office. Let us know if you would like an interpreter. For some legal problems, you might need to have a referral from one of our other services before you can make an appointment for legal advice.

If your local office does not offer advice on a particular topic, you might be able to get help from our Perth office by phone or video link.

Depending on your situation, you might also be able to get help at court from our duty lawyers.


Reviewed: 27 April 2018

Need help?

The Infoline can give information about the law and our services to help with your legal problem.

Find legal answers

If you have questions about the law, we have legal answers.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.