Get help

If you are in immediate danger, phone 000. For non-emergency help from police call, 131 444.

If you are experiencing family violence there are free Legal Aid WA specialist services which can help. 

This information will help you understand:

  • what Legal Aid WA services are available
  • what each Legal Aid WA service can help with
  • other services and supports available.

Our Domestic Violence Legal Unit (DVLU) is a free specialist unit which provides holistic assistance to women, children, and men in same sex relationships that are experiencing or have been impacted by family and domestic violence.

DVLU provides the following legal services:

  • legal advice about family violence matters, including the law about Family Violence Restraining Orders (FVROs)
  • helping clients impacted by family violence who may not wish to start a legal case
  • a duty lawyer service at Perth Magistrates Court Monday to Friday from 9am to 1pm who can help with applying for an FVRO and contested FVRO hearings
  • a duty lawyer service at Joondalup Magistrates Court on Tuesdays (fortnightly) to help with contested FVROs.

DVLU provides the following social support services:

  • counselling, risk assessments and safety planning for victims of family and domestic violence
  • identify non-legal issues that affect victims or family and domestic violence and make appropriate referrals to address those issues, such as tenancy, housing, immigration and financial (Centrelink) issues.

Family Advocacy Support Service (FASS) is a free specialist family violence service which provides legal and social support services to people with a family law problem who are affected by family violence.

FASS provides the following services:

  • Legal advice and assistance provided by duty lawyers and paralegals at the Family Court in Perth Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm.
  • Social support provided by agencies that specialise in family violence. FASS social support includes a dedicated men's social support worker. FASS social support workers can help with risk assessments, safety planning, counselling, referrals to other services, in-court support and advocating on someone's behalf with organisations outside the court system such as police, refuges and housing services.

FASS services are also available when the Family Court is on circuit in Broome, Kalgoorlie, Geraldton, Bunbury and Albany.

More information about FASS services is available here: Family law - What we do.

Where else can I get legal help?

What other help is available? 

  • The Women's Domestic Violence Helpline - call 1800 007 339 (free call) or (08) 9223 1188. A 24-hour service providing support for women in WA experiencing family violence. The service includes counselling, giving information and advice, referrals to local services, police liaison and support in escaping from situations of family violence.

  • DV assist: Domestic help in rural WA – call 1800 080 083 (Mon - Thurs 8am - 8pm). The helpline provides confidential, free counselling for people experiencing family violence in regional, rural or remote WA. There is also information and resources available on their website and a web-chat service.

  • Family Violence Law Help website - provides simple and clear information about domestic and family violence and the law. This includes information about family law, child protection, child support and domestic violence protection orders. It has a directory of services that can help with legal advice, emergency housing, money and more, for people in WA and Australia wide.

  • YourToolkit - is a comprehensive web-based resource containing information that is specifically tailored to assist women facing family and domestic violence and financial abuse. It contains information about personal finances and other relevant information including keeping safe, available emergency support services, Centrelink, accommodation and more.

  • Entrypoint Perth - call (08) 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684 (Monday to Friday 9 am - 7 pm, Saturday 9 am - 5 pm). A service that is able to provide accommodation and support options to victims of family violence that have fled their homes due to family violence or have been rendered homeless due to experiencing family violence.

  • Ask Izzy - a free and anonymous national website you can use to find support services for all types of things everywhere. Ask Izzy lists service providers that offer help with housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, addiction treatment and a whole lot more. 

  • National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service – call 1800 RESPECT / 1800 737 732 (24 hours).

  • Crisis Care Helpline - call 13 11 14 (24 hours) or 1800 199 008. This helpline is operated by Department of Communities, Child Protection and Family Support who can provide assistance when: you need someone to help sort out a serious problem, you are concerned about the wellbeing of a child, you are escaping domestic violence and need help, you are homeless. 

  • Men’s Domestic Violence Helpline – call (08) 9223 1199 or 1800 000 599 (24 hours). The helpline is operated by Department of Communities, Child Protection and Family Support who can provide information and support for men who have experienced family violence. The service can also provide counselling for men who are concerned about their violence and abusive behaviours. The service can provide information about accessing legal advice, accommodation and other support services for men who have been served with an FVRO.

  • Domestic Violence Advocacy Service (DVAS) – call (08) 6330 5400 or e-mail to making an appointment. This is a free service which helps women access support if they have experienced, or are at risk of domestic violence. All staff are women and can help with: discussing available options, safety planning, applying for a restraining order, obtaining support and advice from legal services, referrals to other agencies including counselling and the Department of Communities, Child Protection and Family Support. 

  • Samaritans – call 135 247 (8am - 8pm). This helpline provides emotional support, confidential counselling and outreach services.

  • Penda - available from the App Store or Google Play A free financial app for mobile devices to help those experiencing family violence. It combines financial tips, safety and legal information and referrals for women who have experienced family violence. Friends, family, employers and support people can also use Penda to help others.

  • Mental health emergency response line - call 1300 555 788 (Metro) 1800 676 822 (Peel) (24 hours). This service puts members of public concerned about a person’s mental health and those personally affected by mental health issues in touch with a trained mental health clinician who can provide assessment, information, advice and referral to appropriate services.

  • If you need an interpreter, or you are working with someone who needs an interpreter, you can access an immediate interpreter by calling the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 13 14 50 or for Aboriginal languages by calling Aboriginal Interpreting WA on 1800 330 331. These services can assist with contacting the services listed above. 

More information


Reviewed: 14 November 2023

Family Violence Law Help

A national website for people wanting to understand domestic and family violence, the law and where to get help.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.