Get help with restraining orders

How can Legal Aid WA help?

Our Domestic Violence Legal Unit (DVLU) provides legal advice and assistance to women about family violence issues, including help at court and representation when applying for a Family Violence Restraining Order. 

There is a duty lawyer from our DVLU available at Perth Magistrates Court each morning. The DVLU duty lawyer can give advice and assistance to people in situations of family violence about applying for an FVRO.

A DVLU duty lawyer attends Joondalup Magistrates Court to assist FVRO applicants if an objection to the interim FVRO has been lodged with the court.

You can now apply online through Legal Aid WA and other approved legal service providers: Changes to the way you apply for an FVRO.

There is also an online self-help guide to help you apply for an FVRO without being represented by a lawyer.

Our Civil Law Division can give legal advice about Violence Restraining Orders and Misconduct Restraining Orders, for both applicants and respondents. In some situations, we might be able to give you advice about responding to an FVRO if you have been served with an interim order.

Contact us

Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to find out what help we can give for your situation. If we can’t help, we may be able to refer you to someone else who can.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter.

If you are in immediate danger, phone 000. For non-emergency help from police, call 131 444.

Where else can I get legal help?

What other services and supports are available to help with family violence?

Details about some of the counselling, information and support services for women, men and children in situations of family violence is available if you want to get help with family violence and your safety.


Reviewed: 5 April 2018

Applying for an FVRO?

If you decide applying for an FVRO is the best way to help keep safe from family violence, our Interim FVRO guide can take you through the application process.

Need help?

The InfoLine can give information about the law and our services to help with your legal problem.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.