Making decisions about children

If you are separating, there are things that you and your ex-partner will need to make decisions about if you have a child or children together. For example, the care arrangements for your child, where they will live and where they will go to school. 

You will also need to plan for how you and your ex-partner will communicate with each other and make decisions about your child as they grow. This could include decisions about your child’s education, health and activities.

If there has been family violence or abuse, it may not be safe for you to try to make joint decisions with your ex-partner and it is recommended you get legal advice.

This section has information to help separating parents make decisions about their children including: 

  • help and services for separating parents,
  • the legal terms "parental responsibility" and "best interests of the child", and
  • information about other common issues that can arise after separation.

amica - Simple, smart separation

amica is a secure online tool which helps separating couples reach agreement about both parenting and property disputes.

Dispute Resolution at Legal Aid WA

We can help you work through family law problems without going to court, including arrangements for children and property settlements.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.