Get help with restraining orders

How can Legal Aid WA help?

Our Domestic Violence Legal Unit (DVLU) provides legal assistance and social support services to women, children, and men in same sex relationships about family violence issues. DVLU can provide legal advice and assistance before matters are in court. DVLU also runs a duty lawyer service at Perth Magistrates Court between 9 am and 1 pm.

DVLU duty lawyers can help with:
•    Advice and representation to get a family violence restraining order (FVRO)
•    Advice and limited representation if you come to court for a contested FVRO case, and 
•    Representation if your FVRO case is listed for an  FVRO shuttle conference.

Conference locations are currently Perth, Joondalup, Fremantle, Bunbury and Armadale.   

A DVLU duty lawyer also attends Joondalup Magistrates Court to assist FVRO applicants if an objection to the interim FVRO has been lodged with the court and a first hearing is set.

Our Stronger Women program can help disadvantaged women who live in regional WA with FVRO cases as well. We have duty lawyers who regularly attend Broome, Bunbury, and Albany. Our duty lawyers give free legal advice and assistance to women in FVRO cases, including representing women in court. Women can connect with the Stronger Women program by calling our Infoline on 1300 650 579 or contacting their local Legal Aid WA office. 

For more information about Legal Aid WA's Stronger Women program see the Fact sheet: Stronger Women.

You can now apply online through Legal Aid WA and other approved legal service providers: Changes to the way you apply for an FVRO.

There is also an online self-help guide to help you apply for an FVRO without being represented by a lawyer.

Contact us

Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to find out what help we can give for your situation. If we can’t help, we may be able to refer you to someone else who can.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter.

If you are in immediate danger, phone 000. For non-emergency help from police, call 131 444.

Legal Aid WA can also help men with representation during an FVRO shuttle conference through our Family Advocacy Support Service (‘FASS’) lawyers at Fremantle and Armadale Magistrates Courts.

Our FASS lawyers can also help respondents in FVRO conferences at Bunbury Magistrates Court. 

Where else can I get legal help?

  • Many Community Legal Centres offer services for people experiencing or at risk of family violence and can advise on FVRO conferences. 

         Applicants with FVRO conferences at:

              - Fremantle Magistrates Court can call Fremantle CLC on 9432 9790.

              - Armadale Magistrates Court can call Gosnells CLC on 9398 1455.

              - Bunbury Magistrates Court can call South West CLC on 9791 3206.

         Respondents with FVRO conferences at:

              - Perth Magistrates Court can call the Sussex Street Community Law Service (SSCLS) on 6253 9500 to book an appointment with a lawyer.

              - Joondalup Magistrates Court can call Northern Suburbs CLC on 9440 1663.

What other services and supports are available to help with family violence?

Details about some of the counselling, information and support services for women, men and children in situations of family violence are available on this webpage if you want to get help with family violence and your safety.

Useful documents


Reviewed: 8 January 2024

Applying for an FVRO?

If you decide applying for an FVRO is the best way to help keep safe from family violence, our Interim FVRO guide can take you through the application process.

Need help?

The Infoline can give information about the law and our services to help with your legal problem.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.