Get help with family violence and your safety

What help can Legal Aid WA give me if I am experiencing family violence?

Our Domestic Violence Legal Unit (DVLU) provides:

  • legal advice and assistance to women about family violence issues, including help applying for a restraining order.  You can contact the DVLU through our InfoLine. 

  • a duty lawyer at Perth Magistrates Court each morning. The DVLU duty lawyer can give advice and assistance to people in situations of family violence about applying for an FVRO.

  • a duty lawyer at Joondalup Magistrates Court to assist FVRO applicants if an objection to the interim FVRO has been lodged with the court.

Our Family Court Services (FCS) offers a duty lawyer and social worker service at the Family Court of WA for people who require urgent help with family law matters in court.  When you arrive at the court, you should go to the front counter of the Registry and ask to be directed to our service.

You may be able to get a lawyer to represent you in the Family Court or to help you obtain a restraining order.

Contact us

Call Legal Aid WA’s InfoLine for information about the laws relating to family violence. Please let us know if you need an interpreter.

If you are in danger, phone the police on 000.

Where else can I get legal help?

Many community legal centres offer services for people experiencing or at risk of family violence.

Tenancy WA can help those who have experienced family violence and need to change their tenancy.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can also get help from a Family Violence Prevention Legal Service

What other services or support is available for people experiencing family violence?

  • The Women's Domestic Violence Helpline  - call 1800 007 339 (free call) or (08) 9223 1188
    A 24-hour service providing support for women in WA experiencing family violence. The service includes counselling, giving information and advice, referrals to local services, police liaison and support in escaping from situations of family violence.

  • Family Violence Law Help website
    Provides simple and clear information about domestic and family violence and the law. This includes information about family law, child protection, child support and domestic violence protection orders. It has a directory of services that can help with legal advice, emergency housing, money and more, for people in WA and Australia wide.

  • Penda - available from the App Store or Google Play
    A free financial app for mobile devices to help those experiencing family violence. It combines financial tips, safety and legal information and referrals for women who have experienced family violence. Friends, family, employers and support people can also use Penda to help others.

  • YourToolkit -is a comprehensive web based resource containing information that is specifically tailored to assist women facing family and domestic violence and financial abuse. It contains information about personal finances and other relevant information including keeping safe, available emergency support services, Centrelink, accommodation and more.

  • Ask Izzy - a free and anonymous national website you can use to find support services for all types of things everywhere. Ask Izzy lists service providers that offer help with housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, addiction treatment and a whole lot more. 


Reviewed: 12 April 2018


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.