Interim Family Violence Restraining Order guide

Logo for FRVO self-help guideIf you need protection from violence, threats or abuse from a family member (or former family member), you may want to apply for a Family Violence Restraining Order (FVRO)

An FVRO is a court order that can be made to suit your situation requiring a family member:

  • to stay away from you
  • to stop trying to communicate with you
  • to stop behaving in certain ways towards you.

When you apply for an FVRO, you can ask the court for an interim FVRO. This is a temporary order that can be made and enforced while you go through the court process to get a final (longer term) order. An interim FVRO can be made without having to tell the other person that you are applying for a restraining order against them.

Before you apply for an FVRO in Western Australia, you should check whether you have a current domestic violence order against the same person from another state or territory. If you do, that order might apply in Western Australia.

This guide takes you through the process of applying for an interim FVRO and may help you decide whether applying for an FVRO is the best way to help keep you safe from family violence.

Give us your feedback

There is a very short survey to help us improve this guide


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.