Starting a claim

If you are owed under $75,000, and out of court attempts to negotiate for the debt to be paid have failed, you may need to go to the Magistrates Court of WA to get your money. Court should be a last resort as it can be costly, time-consuming, and stressful. Also, you may not get the outcome you want. 

You should always seek legal advice before going to court. 

You can find information about where to get legal help on our webpage Get help with going to court for money.

What are the different ways of starting a claim for a debt in the Magistrates Court?

There are two types of claims for debt or damages in the Magistrates Court civil jurisdiction:

  • general procedure (for claims from $10,000 up to $75,000) (Form 3), and
  • minor cases procedure for claims less than $10,000 (Form 4).

The Magistrates Court also deals with consumer and trader claims. These types of claims arise out of a contract between a consumer and a trader for

  • the supply of goods or
  • the provision of services.

A consumer and trader claim can be started as a general procedure claim (Form 7) or as a minor case claim (Form 6) depending on the value of the claim. 

Do time limits apply?

Most legal proceedings must start within a certain period of time.

In some circumstances special considerations apply to actions concerning children and people with mental impairment.

In some cases:

  • the court may extend time limits
  • the time limit cannot be extended, and you will be unable to have the court hear your case.

Get legal advice as soon as possible about:

  • what these time limits are, and
  • what to do if you are outside a time limit.

Who can I make a claim against?

You can make a claim against the following people or organisations:

  • individuals (get legal advice about making a claim against a person with a legal disability such as an intellectual impairment or a person under 18, because special rules apply)
  • partnerships
  • companies
  • certain corporations such as hospital boards, local governments, etc
  • incorporated associations such as social clubs, churches, etc.
Can I make a claim against more than one person?

When you start a claim in court, the person or organisation you are bringing the claim against is called the defendant.

In some circumstances you may name more than one defendant on the claim. This is called joining defendants.

Joining defendants may be done when a claim is lodged or at a later date. 

You should always get legal advice before joining defendants.

What do I put on the claim form?

You must give the following information when lodging the claim:

  • The identity of the defendant. It is essential that you correctly identify the defendant on the claim (be careful with businesses. You may need the name of the owner). Get legal advice if you are not sure who the correct defendant is.
  • Full names and addresses of all defendants including all the partner's names if making a claim against a partnership and the Australian Company Number (ACN) if making a claim against a company.
  • A summary of what is claimed.

When starting the claim, you can claim, and add to the amount sought, costs for things such as:

  • service fees
  • costs to do with transporting witnesses, and
  • interest.

You do not have to specify the amount of costs. But you must put on the claim that you are claiming costs.

You must sign each copy of the claim.  

Which Magistrates Court should I start my claim at?

When you can, it is best to select the Magistrates Court nearest to either:

  • the home or business address of the defendant which existed not more than six months before the claim was lodged, or
  • the place where the claim arose either wholly or in part.

Select the court location from the drop-down menu when you fill in your online application.

How do I lodge my claim?

You must lodge your claim and other documents in your case online at the eCourt Portal. You must register on the eCourt Portal and pay the fee required for your claim.  

If you cannot lodge electronically you can ask for an exemption for the online lodging of one document or all documents in your case. You must apply on the approved form (Form 69).

A registrar may grant your application. The court can also, for any good reason and without a formal application or request, exempt you from lodging a document or documents electronically.

If you are given an exemption from lodging a document electronically, the court or a registrar may give directions to you about how to lodge the document. This could include over the counter at the court, by post, by email or by fax.



Reviewed: 21 March 2024


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.