Going to court over money

If you have exhausted all options short of going to court to recover money, or you have been served with a claim in the Magistrates Court of WA, you need to know what your options are.

If your case ends up at court you may end up with a debt being owed to you and have to enforce it or you may end up owing a debt and have it enforced against you.

If you owe someone money you have a debt. You are the debtor if you owe the money (the debt)  and the person you owe money to is the creditor.

If your case goes to the Magistrates Court of WA you will be called the defendant. The person who brings a claim against you is called the claimant.  


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.