Complaints about phone companies and utilities

You may want to make a complaint if you are not happy with your telephone or utility services, or the company that supplies those services. This could be related to your landline, mobile phone, internet, water, gas or electricity accounts.

The first step is normally to contact the supplier to try and resolve your complaint. If that does not work, you may be able to get help from another organisation.

This webpage has information on how to make a complaint about a telephone or internet service or a utility company in WA, and where to get help if you are having problems paying a utility bill.

What if I have a problem with a telephone or internet service?

If the complaint is about your phone or internet connection not working, your first step will normally be to contact:

  • the store or company that sold you the item - if the fault is with the actual phone, modem or router itself, or
  • the service or network provider - if the issue is with problems connecting, coverage or network faults.

If you have problems with your bill, contract, or feel you are being overcharged, you should also try to resolve your complaint directly with the service provider.

If you cannot resolve the issue directly, you can make a complaint about your phone or internet service to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. Your complaint should be lodged within two years of when you first became aware of the problem. This time may be extended to six years in some circumstances. 

You may also have rights as a consumer under Australian Consumer Law if you have problems with goods or services.

What if I have a complaint about a utility company in WA?

If you have a problem about your water, electricity or gas account, you should contact the company that provides that service. Utility companies have internal complaint resolution procedures that may help resolve your complaint.

If you remain dissatisfied after contacting your service provider, you may complain to the Energy and Water Ombudsman WA. Complaints can be made in person, in writing, online or by calling (08) 9220 7588 or 1800 754 004

If you have not previously raised the issue directly with the utility service provider, the Energy and Water Ombudsman will decide whether to investigate or direct you back to the service provider. 

Complaints to the Energy and Water Ombudsman must normally be made within 12 months of when you first became aware of the problem. 

If you are having trouble paying a water, gas or electricity bill because of financial hardship, you may be able to access the WA Government Hardship Utilities Grant Scheme.  Consider getting help from a financial counsellor if you cannot pay your bills


More information 

Phone and internet services
Electricity, water and gas services


Reviewed: 2 April 2024


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.