There are both WA and Commonwealth workplace laws that cover pay, working conditions, and employee protection from unfair or unlawful decisions to end your employment.
It can be difficult to know what law applies to you and what your rights are. Workers are generally not covered by the national system if they work for:
- the WA government public sector
- Australian corporations whose main activity isn't trading or financial activity, or
- unincorporated businesses such as sole traders, partnerships or trusts.
Each jurisdiction has its own industrial commission or tribunal to deal with disputes. Claims made under WA laws are heard by the WA Industrial Relations Commission and claims made under the national system are to the Fair Work Commission.
To check if you are covered by WA or national laws, you can ask:
- the Fair Work Commission - call 1300 799 675
- the Fair Work Ombudsman - call 13 13 94
- Wageline - call 1300 655 266
Find out more about your rights at work: