Your rights at work

There are both WA and Commonwealth workplace laws that cover pay, working conditions, and employee protection from unfair or unlawful decisions to end your employment.

It can be difficult to know what law applies to you and what your rights are. Workers are generally not covered by the national system if they work for:

  • the WA government public sector
  • Australian corporations whose main activity isn't trading or financial activity, or
  • unincorporated businesses such as sole traders, partnerships or trusts.

Each jurisdiction has its own industrial commission or tribunal to deal with disputes. Claims made under WA laws are heard by the WA Industrial Relations Commission and claims made under the national system are to the Fair Work Commission.

To check if you are covered by WA or national laws, you can ask:

Find out more about your rights at work:


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.