Changes to the ways you can apply for an FVRO

If you are at risk of family violence, it is very important to think about the safety of you and your children in deciding what to do.

There are a range of possible options to help protect you, including getting a family violence restraining order.

Recent changes to the law in WA have made it easier for some people to apply for a family violence restraining order (FVRO).

If you have a Family Court case or a child protection case in the Children’s Court, you can now ask for an interim FVRO to be made without the person you want the order against, the respondent, being present. 

You can now apply online through an approved legal service provider. You can read more about the changes here: COVID-19: Changes to the ways you can apply for an FVRO.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.