Compensation for victims of crime

You may be able to get compensation if you have been injured, or experienced financial loss from the injury, as the result of a crime in Western Australia, including assaults, robbery, family violence or sexual offences.

This might involve making an application for compensation, the court making an order when sentencing the offender, or you starting legal action against the offender.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is designed to provide compensation if you suffer physical harm, mental or nervous shock or pregnancy resulting from an offence occurring in WA. Find out:

  • some of the options for compensation if you have been injured as the result of a crime
  • who can apply for Criminal Injuries Compensation and what it covers, and
  • some of the situations where you should get legal advice.

I have been injured as the result of a crime. What are my options for compensation?

If you have been injured, or suffered loss flowing from the injury, as a result of a criminal offence, you may be able to:

  • make a compensation claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003 (WA).
  • bring a common law claim against the offender.
  • ask the court sentencing the offender to make an order for compensation or restitution.

If you are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse while in the care of a State or Commonwealth institution you may be able to apply for assistance from the National Redress Scheme. Some non-government institutions (such as churches and charities) also joined this Scheme.

What is Criminal Injuries Compensation?

Victims of crime who have suffered an injury can apply for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003 (WA).

A close relative of a person killed as a result of an offence may also be able to claim compensation for some of the financial loss caused by the person's death. Close relatives include a spouse, de facto partner, parent, grandparent, step-parent, child, step-child, or grandchild.

What does the compensation cover?

Compensation may cover:

  • pain and suffering
  • loss of enjoyment of life
  • loss of income
  • medical or psychological expenses including the costs of reports and treatment, and
  • other incidental expenses (such as travel for medical treatment and loss/damage of clothing, footwear or aids).

In the case of death, a close relative may be eligible for compensation to cover funeral expenses and the loss of financial support. 

Do I need legal advice?

Many of the issues regarding a claim for compensation are complex and time limits apply. You should get legal advice if:

  • the offence has not been reported to the police
  • the offender is acquitted of the offence
  • the offender is not charged
  • the victim is a child
  • you were injured as a child
  • you have suffered long term sexual abuse
  • you are unsure of your injuries or loss
  • it has been more than three years since the offence happened
  • you wish to make a claim for mental or psychological injury
  • you wish to make a claim as a close relative of a person killed as a result of the offence
  • you wish to make a claim for future loss of earnings
  • a hearing is arranged
  • you are not satisfied with the amount of compensation you receive and wish to appeal, or
  • you receive a query from the Australian Taxation Office about payment of tax on an award.


Get help

Our Civil Law Division may be able to help you with advice to make a claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation.  

If you need help with responding to an application for Criminal Injuries Compensation, or appealing a decision by the Assessor, please call the Infoline.

If you receive a grant of aid to apply for compensation, Legal Aid WA will only ask you to make a contribution to cover your legal costs if your application for compensation is successful.

Your local community legal centre or Family Violence Prevention Legal Service (FVPLS) may also be able to provide advice and assistance with Criminal Injuries Compensation applications. FVPLS also offer counselling services for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island peoples who are victims family violence or sexual assaults.


More information


Reviewed: 29 September 2020

Need help?

The InfoLine can give information about the law and our services to help with your legal problem.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.