National Redress Scheme

Following the 2017 Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, the Commonwealth Government set up the National Redress Scheme.

The Scheme provides support to Australian citizens and permanent residents who were sexually abused as children (aged under 18) while in the care of participating governments and institutions before 1 July 2018. Each state and territory, and many non-government bodies, participate in the Scheme.

The Scheme ends on 30 June 2027.

The National Redress Scheme is an alternative to applying for compensation through the courts.  You cannot apply to both the courts and the Scheme for the same event.

Legal Aid WA does not provide legal advice about, or help with, applying under the Scheme. Other places you can get legal help are set out below.

This page has information on the institutions covered by the scheme and what the scheme covers.

Which institutions are included in the Scheme?

The National Redress Scheme is to assist people who were sexually abused as children while in care of participating institutions. The Commonwealth Government pushed for all state governments, churches, charities and other non-government organisations to join the Scheme.

All institutions run by the Commonwealth Government, and all State and territory governments have chosen to participate in the Scheme. This means that people sexually abused as children while in the care of government institutions can apply for compensation through the Scheme.

Many non-government institutions (such as churches and charities) have also chosen to join the Scheme. For a full list of institutions that have joined the Scheme click here.

The Scheme does not cover non-institutional sexual abuse. It may be possible to apply for compensation in other ways for events that are not covered by the Scheme.

What does the Scheme cover?

The National Redress Scheme can cover:

  • access to psychological counselling
  • the option to get a direct personal response (such as an apology and acknowledgement that what happened was wrong) from the responsible institution, and
  • a monetary payment of up to $150,000.

Payments are worked out on a case-by-case basis, depending on the severity and impact of the abuse experienced.

People who experienced institutional child sexual abuse can get support from the Scheme's Support Services.

Get help

  • Aboriginal Family Legal Services (AFLS) is offering free National Redress services to clients living in the Perth Metropolitan area and in the Midwest and Gascoyne regions. AFLS will: 
         o    provide clients with information about how the National Redress Scheme works
         o    assist clients with gathering the relevant information required to make their application 
         o    assist clients to complete and lodge their application
         o    assist clients with accessing counselling, psychological care and any other services available, and
         o    support clients in receiving a direct personal response. 
    Call AFLS on (08) 9355 1502
  • knowmore is an independent service giving free legal advice and help to survivors of institutional child sexual abuse and the justice or redress options that may be available to them. This includes possible claims under institutional redress schemes, access to assistance or compensation through victims of crime schemes or common law, and civil law rights and claims. Call the free advice line 1800 605 762 on Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm (AEST/AEDT).

More information


Reviewed: 30 January 2024


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.