I didn't get an interim FVRO - Interim FVROs

Logo for FRVO self-help guideIf the magistrate did not grant your application for an interim FVRO, you have several options to consider.

You can:

  • proceed with your application and go to a final order hearing
  • withdraw your application and reapply if there is a new incident of family violence
  • consider appealing the decision
  • look at other ways to get protection.

1.  Go to a final order hearing

If you have not been given an interim FVRO at the first hearing, and your application has not been dismissed, it will be set down for a final order hearing at which both parties will be heard and a decision made.

In some courts, the matter will be listed for a mention or directionsn hearing before it gets to a final order hearing. Check with the court if you are not sure.

2. Withdraw your application

If the court is not going to make an interim FVRO, and you don't want to go to a final hearing (because you don't want the Respondent to know you are trying to get an FVRO), you also have the option of telling the magistrate you don't want to continue with the process. The magistrate will dismiss your application.

You can apply for a new interim FVRO if there is a new incident of family violence. Remember, the definition of family violence covers a lot more than physical violence. 

3. Lodge an appeal

If the court dismissed your application for an FVRO, you can appeal against that decision by going to the District Court of WA. You can download a guide on how to represent yourself in an appeal about a restraining order decision from the District Court of WA website

Get legal advice quickly if you are considering an appeal. Time limits apply.

You cannot appeal against the court's decision to not make an interim FVRO and list the case for a final order hearing.

4. Look at other ways to get protection.

Family Violence Restraining Orders can be made in other court proceedings. FVROs and other court protections are available in cases in criminal courts, in child protection proceedings in the Children's Court and during Family Court proceedings.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.