Can I get one? - Interim FVROs

Logo for FRVO self-help guide

A Family Violence Restraining Order is a court order made against your partner, ex-partner or another family member. It is designed to stop:

  • violence or threats of violence, or
  • other sorts of behaviour that coerce or control you, or cause you to be fearful. 

This section will help explain some of the rules about:

  • who can apply for an FVRO
  • who is treated as a family member
  • what things you need to prove before the court can make an FVRO, and
  • what conditions the court can include in the FVRO.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.