Briefing another lawyer

If you are assigned a grant of aid and are unavailable for a court appearance, it is possible for you to instruct another lawyer to appear. You must follow the provisions in the Private Practitioner Manual about briefing an agent.

Who can I brief as an agent?

The Private Practitioner Manual has detailed information on who you can brief if you are unavailable to personally attend court.

Generally, you must brief a practitioner who is also on the panel for that type of matter. There are some exceptions in the criminal law jurisdiction where you can arrange for a non-panel member to appear. These exceptions are fully explained in the Private Practitioner Manual.

In appropriate circumstances and where you have attempted to brief another panel practitioner but there is not one available, you can seek prior approval from Legal Aid WA to brief a non-panel member to appear. Legal Aid WA will generally require that the non-panel member has the minimum post-admission experience applicable to members of the relevant panel.  

A request for approval must be made using the online form below and be submitted as soon as possible.


Non-panel practitioner request

All fields on this form are mandatory. Please provide a response for each question.


File Details

With reference to clause 21.3 of the Private Practitioner Manual, approval is sought for the following practitioner with the stated number of years relevant post-admission experience (PAE) to appear in relation to this grant of aid:  


Area of law

Area of Law

Criminal grants

Type of appearance

Family grants

Type of appearance
Type of appearance
Type of appearance


Reason for request

Is there likely to be any factual or legal argument at the hearing?
Will you or a panel practitioner be available by phone to assist the proposed non-panel practitioner if complexity arises?

Read our Private Practitioner Manual

All lawyers doing work on behalf of Legal Aid WA must comply with the Manual.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.