Where to get help - When Separating

When Separating logoSeparating from your spouse or partner can be a complicated, stressful and emotional time. There are a range of places offering professional support and advice. Being more informed about your options and the law can help you make better decisions for the future.

If you have a legal question about your situation, you should get advice from a family lawyer. Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to see if we can help with your problem.

Other places to go for information, support and advice

  • amica.gov.au
    amica is a secure online platform that empowers amicable separating couples. It is funded by the Australian Government. You can use amica to make arrangements about parenting, divide your money and property fairly (amica’s smart technology can make fair suggestions for you), and create simple, clear written agreements to keep a record what you have agreed. amica has very low-costs, and is free if one of you is on an income support benefit.

  • Family Relationships Online
    Offers information about family relationship issues, ranging from building better relationships with your partner and children, to dispute resolution services. It also has information about services that can help parents make appropriate decisions about children after separation.

  • Lawstuff
    Provides information about the rights of children in Australia. It provides legal information for children and young people on a range of issues including adoption, family law and getting legal advice.

  • The Department of Human Services - Child Support
    Can help look after child support payments. Their website features guides, calculators and online services for managing child support payments.

  • Anglicare WA
    A community service organisation supporting people, families and communities to cope with the challenges of life. They have specific services for parents and children involved in separation, including the Mums and Dads Forever program, Family Relationship Centres and children’s contact services. They also offer help with counselling, family and domestic violence, mental health, finances and housing.

  • Centrecare WA
    A community service organisation that provides professional counselling, support, mediation and training service. Services are provided in Perth and to communities in WA’s Goldfields and South West regional areas.

  • Relationships Australia WA
    Provides relationship support services for individuals, families and communities. They offer specialist services to support people going through separation, including counselling for adults and children, Family Dispute Resolution and programs to help with parenting after separation. The also provide a range of family support and education programs.

  • MensLine Australia
    A national support and information service for Australian men. Help is available 24 hours a day by phone and online. Their services cover relationships, being a dad and parenting skills, separation, anger management and family violence, and men’s wellbeing. They offer video counselling services for men in rural and regional areas to be able to speak face-to-face with someone.

  • beyondblue
    A national service which provides telephone and online counselling to people who are experiencing depression and anxiety.

  • Youthbeyondblue
    A special program from BeyondBlue for young people aged 12 – 25 dealing with depression and anxiety.

  • Lifeline
    A national phone and online service giving all Australians experiencing a personal crisis access to support and suicide prevention services. Help by phone is available 24 hours a day and can assist with many issues including suicide prevention, anxiety, depression and abuse and trauma.

  • Kids Helpline
    Provides free phone and online counselling to young people aged 5 ‑ 25. Children can make contact with professional counsellor by phone, webchat or email to discuss any issue that is concerning them. 


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.