Other ways to get help - Interim FVROs

Logo for FRVO self-help guideApplying for a Family Violence Restraining Order (FVRO) is one tool that might help increase safety for you and your children.

But you may not need to apply for an FVRO to be protected.  

There are other things you can do, including asking for help from the police or applying for other protective orders from the courts. It is always important to have a safety plan.

How can the police help?

  • Arrest and charge
    Call the police if you have been physically assaulted, are being stalked, or threatened with violence. These are criminal offences.

    If the person is charged, the police can impose protective bail conditions that stop the offender coming near you until they go to court and their case is finalised.

  • Issue a police order
    Police can issue an on the spot order to stop the offender coming near you and where you live or work for up to 72 hours.

  • Help you apply by phone for an FVRO
    Police can help you apply for a telephone order. These are very helpful in some regional and remote areas if it is hard to get to court in person.

  • Remove weapons
    Police can remove weapons from the offender.

Other protective court orders

  • Making an FVRO when someone is charged
    When a person is charged with certain criminal offences, the court can make an FVRO against that person even though the charge has not been decided.

  • Make protective bail conditions
    The court may also make protective bail conditions that stop the offender coming near you until the next court date or until their case is finalised.

  • Make an FVRO when someone is sentenced
    If a person is found guilty of certain offences, the court can make an FVRO when sentencing them.

  • Through child protection cases in the Children's Court or Family Court cases 
    An FVRO can be made against a party to proceedings, or another person who gives evidence, in protection and care cases in the Children's Court and in parenting cases in the Family Court. However, in most cases, the Family Court will require you to go to the Magistrates Court to apply for an FVRO.  An interim (or short term) order can be made without the other person being present.

Video: Hear from a magistrate about other ways to get help


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.