Where to get help - Criminal trials

How can Legal Aid WA help?

A duty lawyer can give you advice but cannot represent you at your trial. Try and see the duty lawyer at your next court appearance or on the morning of your trial.

Contact us

Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to find out what help we can give for your situation. If we can’t help, we may be able to refer you to someone else who can.

Magistrates Court criminal trial kitLegal Aid WA also has an information kit, Representing yourself at a Magistrates Court criminal trial, for people pleading not guilty to a criminal or traffic charge in the Magistrates Court.

This kit can be downloaded for printing and can help you if you are in the Magistrates Court and will not have a lawyer to represent you at trial.

It explains:

  • what happens if you plead not guilty
  • how to prepare your defence for trial
  • the steps in a trial, and
  • what to do if you are found guilty.

Where else can I get help or information?


Find a duty lawyer

Choose a location to find out what duty lawyer services are available at courts across Western Australia.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.