Insurance - Car crashes

car crash self-help guide logoCompulsory motor injury insurance stops you facing costly medical bills for personal injury to others involved in an accident, even if you are at fault. In WA it can also provide for lifetime treatment costs for anyone who is very badly injured in a car accident, even when they are the driver at fault or unable to prove the fault of another driver.

Other insurance you take out may stop you facing costly car repair bills or bills for other damage after a car crash.

It is important to understand the different options available so you can make an informed choice about what insurance to buy.

Different types of insurance

Compulsory motor injury insurance

The cost of compulsory motor injury insurance is set by the government and is paid as part of your car licence registration fee. This insurance provides cover for personal injuries you may cause to others in a motor vehicle crash anywhere in Australia. It also provides cover for catastrophic injuries you or any other person sustain in a motor vehicle crash in WA where either you are the driver at fault or you are unable to prove the fault of another driver.

Third party property insurance

Third party property insurance covers you for damage caused to other people's cars and property (such as fences or home) but will not cover damage to your own car.

Third party, fire and theft

Third party, fire and theft policies cover you for damage you cause to other people's cars and property, and for costs resulting from theft or fire damage to your car.

Comprehensive car insurance

Comprehensive car insurance:

  • covers you for damage to both your own car and other people's cars or property
  • gives you the most cover and is usually the most expensive.

Check what the policy covers before you take it out. Different policies and insurers may have different rules about covering costs such as towing, medical expenses, and hire cars.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.