Help for people with hearing or speech difficulties

We do our best to assist clients who have trouble speaking or hearing English.

Telephone calls to the Infoline or our offices can be made using the National Relay Service. If you are meeting with us in person, we can book an Auslan interpreter to be present at the appointment.

Help for people with hearing or speech difficultiestwo hands doing sign language

If you are deaf, or have difficulty speaking or hearing English, we are committed to helping you to access our services.

You can use the National Relay Service when you call the Infoline or our offices. 

If would like to use an Auslan interpreter in an appointment, please let us know at the time the appointment is made.  We will book and pay for the interpreter. 

What interpreters does Legal Aid WA use?

We use accredited and confidential services.  If you are meeting with us face-to-face, ask us for an interpreter and we will book an interpreter through Deaf Connect to be there for your appointment. 

Who pays for the interpreter?

Legal Aid WA pay for the interpreters that we book.  We do not cover any extra costs for calls made to us using the National Relay Service.

Can I use someone I know (like a friend or relative) to interpret for me?

We prefer to only use independent and accredited interpreters when we are discussing your legal problem.  Your friend or relative can help you ask us to book an interpreter.  They can come to the appointment with you for support, but not to be the interpreter.

What if I am appearing in court?

You can contact the court to ask them to book an interpreter for your court date.  You will need to tell them when you are going to be in court and what kind of interpreter you need. 

If an interpreter is not there on your court date, you can ask the court to put your matter off to another day and have an interpreter for next time.  If there is a duty lawyer at court, ask if they can help speak for you in court.  The court will pay for the interpreter.  The court will need to order an interpreter for every time you come to court.


Reviewed: 3 May 2018


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.