Police and the courts

For most young people, dealing with the police and the courts can be a stressful and worrying experience.

When you have to deal with the police, you have rights but you also have some responsibilities.

If the police decide to charge you with a crime, the offence will normally be dealt with by a court. For offences committed when you are (or were) under 18 years old, the Children’s Court will decide whether or not you are guilty and what the sentence or punishment should be if you are convicted. 

This section has information to help young people know what can happen when dealing with the police and the courts.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.