Get help with debt problems

There are different ways we may be able to help with problems arising from collection of a debt. If we can’t help we may be able to refer you to someone who can.

Can we help?

Our Civil Law Division may be able to give you legal advice on money matters such as debts, property repossession applications, and financial problems including as a result of a natural disaster.  Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to find out what help we can give for your situation. If we can’t help, we may be able to refer you to someone else who can.

A grant of aid in civil law matters is usually only available in limited circumstances.

If you are already in bankruptcy proceedings, our Federal Circuit Court service for self-represented litigants may be able to assist. Call our Infoline to book an appointment.

If you are unsure which service you need call our Infoline.

Other places you can get help

Community Legal Centres

Click here to link to a directory of the Community Legal Centres in WA or call (08) 9221 9322.

Consumer Credit Legal Service Contact

Consumer Credit Legal Service WA on (08) 9221 7066.  

Law Society of WA

Law Society of WA on (08) 9324 8600 for referral to a lawyer who specialises in this area.


Reviewed : 11 April 2018


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.