Get help with separation and divorce

Legal Aid WA offers the following services on separation and divorce:

  • information and resources, and
  • appointments for legal advice. 

Call the Infoline on 1300 650 579 for information about the law, to ask about our services and to find out how we can help you. The Infoline is open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 4.00pm (Western Standard Time), except on public holidays. 

Many community legal centres offer services for people who have separated or are going through a divorce. 

Separation services

    amica is a secure online platform that empowers amicable separating couples. It is funded by the Australian Government. You can use amica to make arrangements about parenting, divide your money and property fairly (amica’s smart technology can make fair suggestions for you), and create simple, clear written agreements to keep a record what you have agreed. amica has very low-costs, and is free if one of you is on an income support benefit. 

  • Family Relationship Centres - provide information and support to separating families including education sessions and Family Dispute Resolution to assist with reaching an agreement about parenting arrangements. You can find the location of your nearest Centre by calling the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 (Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and Saturday from 10.00am to 4.00pm) or by searching online here.

  • Relationships Australia Western Australia - 1300 364 277 provide a range of separation services including counselling, Family Dispute Resolution for parenting and property and supervision services.

  • Anglicare WA - 1300 114 446 provide a range of separation services including counselling, education programs, supervision services and Family Dispute Resolution. Anglicare offers both face to face counselling and telephone counselling to people anywhere in Western Australia including rural and remote regions. 

  • Anglicare WA Mums and Dads Forever program - focuses on assisting families to reduce conflict and develop positive ways to communicate following separation.

  • Anglicare WA Supporting Children After Separation program - provides support for children and young people up to 18 years of age who have parents who are going through a separation.

  • Family Relationships Online - a government website which provides information for families going through separation about the different types of help available and where these can be found. 

  • Lifeline WA's Separated Dads program and Lifeline WA's Separated Mums program - provide support to fathers and mothers before, during and after separation or if they have experienced bereavement in a partnership as a parent or a child. The counselling team provides individual support, education and group workshops. 



Reviewed: 30 April 2021


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.