Get help with rehearings and appeals

Where can I get help to appeal my conviction or sentence?

You should ask for advice from the lawyer who represented you when you were convicted or sentenced. If you were not represented, you should get advice from a private lawyer or contact Legal Aid WA. 

If you are in prison, you can put your name down to see Legal Aid WA at the prison. You should explain to Legal Aid WA why you want to appeal.

Where can I get help to apply for a rehearing?

The Legal Aid duty lawyer can help you decide if you need to apply for a rehearing, and let you know how to apply. The duty lawyer is only available if you are appearing in court.


Reviewed: 3 May 2018 

Appealing on your own?

A guide to help you with criminal appeals against conviction or penalty.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.