Commonwealth Family Violence and Cross-Examination of Parties Scheme
Can I apply for a lawyer under the Scheme?
You can apply for a lawyer under the Scheme if the Family Court of WA has made a notice or order banning personal cross-examination in your case. The ban applies automatically in certain circumstances, or the court may decide to impose the ban.
The ban can apply in both property and parenting cases.
How can I make an application for a lawyer under the Scheme?
If a personal cross-examination ban notice or order is made by the Family Court of WA in your case, you can make an application for a lawyer under the Scheme by:
- calling the Legal Aid WA Infoline on 1300 650 579 and saying you want to make an application under the Commonwealth Family Violence and Cross-Examination of Parties Scheme, or
- visiting a Legal Aid WA office and asking for legal help under the Scheme, or
- visiting Legal Aid WA's Family Court Services on Level 1 of the Family Court Building in Perth and asking for legal assistance under the Scheme, or
- speaking to a Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS) duty lawyer when the Family Court is sitting in regional locations in WA.
Commonwealth Department of Attorney-General
- Information Sheet: Family Law Amendment (Family Violence and Cross-examination of Parties) Act 2018
- Information Sheet: Family Violence Allegations in Family Law Proceedings – Personal Cross-Examination Ban
Last reviewed: 24 November 2022