COVID-19: Tenancy

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the West Australian government passed laws to prevent tenants from being forced to move out of their rental properties or be made homeless. Long-stay residents in residential parks, boarders and lodgers paying rent were also covered. 

These laws were to last for a set time only and that time ended on 28 March 2021. This means the ordinary tenancy laws under the Residential Tenancies Act 1987 (WA) now apply.

COVID-19 Residential Tenancies Mandatory Conciliation Service (RTMCS)

The Residential Tenancies Mandatory Conciliation Service (RTMCS) was introduced by the WA Government to help landlords and renters reach agreement about COVID-19 renting disputes without going to court. However, the RTMCS stopped accepting applications on 29 June 2021.  

Where to get help

If you are a tenant and have a tenancy problem, contact Circle Green Community Legal. 

Although RTMCS is no longer accepting applications, you may be able to get help with conciliation in a tenancy dispute from Consumer Protection at the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. You can find more information on the Consumer Protection website.


Reviewed: 23 March 2022


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.