COVID-19: Parenting arrangements and travel restrictions

Travel restrictions imposed within WA by the WA government may have an impact on your ability to travel to fulfil parenting arrangements you have in place.

The restrictions and their possible impact are summarised below.

Impact on travel to remote Aboriginal communities under parenting arrangements

Under the WA government Remote Aboriginal Communities Directions (No 5) people are permitted to enter or remain in a remote Aboriginal community for a number of reasons including for “family or cultural purposes”. Subject to rules about when you cannot enter, for example if you have tested positive for COVID-19, you will therefore generally be allowed to enter if you are fulfilling your obligations under the following:

  • Family Court parenting order
  • parenting plan, or
  • other parenting arrangement.

You should carry a copy of the relevant Family Court parenting order, parenting plan or other written evidence of the current parenting arrangement with you when travelling. You may need to provide this as evidence of the reason for travelling into a Remote Aboriginal Community.

The list of Remote Aboriginal Communities to which the WA rules apply are found in the Remote Aboriginal Communities Directions (No 5). For more information about these directions see Travel restrictions.

More information

For information about how to obtain a copy of your current Family Court parenting orders visit the Family Court of WA website here.


Reviewed: 2 May 2022


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.