COVID-19: How can we help?

Legal Aid WA is committed to providing the best service possible to all of our clients.

We can provide help over the telephone by calling our Infoline on 1300 650 579 Monday-Friday from 9.00am to 4.00pm (please note that there may be longer wait times than usual).

Our live webchat service is available Monday-Friday from 9.00am to 4.00pm and can provide general information about the law online rather than over the telephone.

There are some  legal problems we don’t give advice about, but we may be able to give you some information over the phone or through our live webchat service. If Legal Aid WA can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can assist you.

Whilst providing our services and to protect our clients, staff and the community, each client will be asked several screening questions before any services are provided in person. The questions you will be asked include:

  1. Have you returned from overseas in the last two weeks?
    If yes, which countries have you visited or transited (current travel risk updates are available at  Australian Government - Department of Health COVID-19 updates ) and have you experienced flu symptoms since your return?
  2. To the best of your knowledge, have you come in contact with someone who has tested positive with COVID-19 in the last two weeks?
  3. Are you feeling unwell in any way?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, a different service delivery method can be offered to you such as a telephone appointment or video link.

For information on common legal issues as well as changes in the Legal Aid WA services, please see the below links.

COVID-19: Criminal Law and Criminal Duty Lawyer Services

COVID-19: Co-parenting

COVID-19: Financial Hardship

COVID-19: Immigration law

COVID-19: Supporting children

COVID-19: Common legal problems and where to get help

COVID-19: Employment Law - Dept. Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety - employment impacted by COVID-19

For the latest updates and advice about COVID-19 as well as the most reliable health information, please refer to the below useful links:

There may be organisations outside Legal Aid WA that are available to help you with legal problems that have arisen from COVID-19. At this particularly trying time, Legal Aid WA aim to keep this list updated so you can get the support you need. We want to assist you where we can and help to address your legal problems as soon as possible.

Please find a list of organisations outside of Legal Aid WA that may be able to assist with your legal problem or queries:

Community Legal WA – 9221 9322

Community Legal WA can assist you to find a community legal centre near you.

There may also be changes to services for many of the community legal centres. Please refer to individual centres for further details.

Consumer Credit Legal Service WA – 9221 7066

The Consumer Credit Legal Service WA provides information and advice to Western Australians with financial related disputes such as mortgages and consumer debts.

Consumer Protection Western Australia – 1300 304 054

Consumer Protection Western Australia has information on their website about your consumer rights during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic relating to retail and travel issues.

Employment Law Centre of Western Australia – 1300 130 956 or 9227 0111

The Employment Law Centre of WA provides information and advice to Western Australians on employment law matters. Their website contains information about common employment law issues.

Welfare Rights and Advocacy Service – 9328 1751

The Welfare Rights and Advocacy Service provides advice, information, and referrals in relation to Centrelink social security matters to Western Australians living in its catchment area of the north of the Swan River  to the top of the state of WA and across to the SA/NT border.

Tenancy WA – 9221 0088 (metropolitan area) 1800 621 888 (country free call)

Tenancy WA provides advice to tenants in Western Australia relating to tenancy issues. They also have information on their website on common tenancy problems.




The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.