Complaints about phones and utilities

You may want to make a complaint if you are not happy with your telephone or utility services, or the company that supplies those services. This could be related to your landline, mobile phone, internet, water, gas or electricity accounts.

The first step is normally to contact the supplier to try and resolve your complaint. If that does not work, you may be able to get help from another organisation.

 Find out:

  • where to complain about a telephone or internet provider
  • Where to complain about your gas, electricity or water service, and
  • where you can go to get help.

What if I have a problem with a telephone or internet service?

If the complaint is about your phone or internet connection not working, your first step will normally be to contact:

  • the store or company that sold you the item, if the fault is with the actual phone, modem or router itself, or
  • the service or network provider, if the issue is with problems connecting, coverage or network faults.

If you have problems with your bill, contract, coverage, network faults or being overcharged, you should first try to resolve your complaint directly with the service provider.

You may also have rights as a consumer in relation to problems with goods or services.

If you cannot resolve the issue directly, you can make a complaint about your phone or internet service to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. Your complaint should be lodged within two years of when you first became aware of the problem. This time may be extended to six years in some circumstances. 

What if I have a complaint about a utilities provider in WA?

If you have a problem about your water, electricity or gas account, you should first contact the company who provides that service. These companies have internal complaint resolution procedures that may help resolve your complaint.

If you remain dissatisfied after making a complaint to the service provider, you may make a complaint to the Energy and Water Ombudsman WA. Complaints can be made in person, in writing, online or by calling (08) 9220 7588 or 1800 754 004

If you have not previously raised the issue directly with the utility service provider, the Energy and Water Ombudman will decide whether to investigate or otherwise will direct you back to the service provider. 

Complaints to the Energy and Water Omsbudman must normally be made within 12 months of when you first became aware of the problem. 

If you are having trouble to pay water, gas or electricity bills because of financial hardship, you may be able to access the WA Government Hardship Utilities Grant Scheme. You may also want to consider getting help from a financial counsellor if you cannot pay your bills


More information 

Phone and internet services
Electricity, water and gas services


Reviewed: 13 June 2018


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.