Get help with borrowing money

How can Legal Aid WA help?

Our Civil Law Division may be able to give you legal advice on money matters such as debts, property repossession applications, and financial problems including as a result of a natural disaster. A grant of aid in civil law matters is usually only available in limited circumstances.

If you have a mortgage and any of the following has happened, your problem is urgent. You need to act and get help immediately. 

  • You have been sent a default notice.
  • You have received a Writ.
  • The lender has obtained a court judgment.
  • The sheriff/bailiff has come with a court order for possession of your property.

There is also an online self-help guide to help you deal with banks and lenders if you are under mortgage stress or having difficulty making repayments.

If you are buying a car, visit My Car to learn about your legal rights, car loans and finance, and where to get help if something goes wrong.

Contact us

Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to find out what help we can give for your situation. If we can’t help, we may be able to refer you to someone else who can.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter.

Where else can I get help?

  • Consumer Credit Legal Service WA - (08) 9221 7066 - for advice and information for people having problems with debt and disputes with a financial institution.
  • Your local community legal centre may offer services for people having trouble with lenders and credit providers.
  • The Law Society of WA for information about private lawyers who can provide advice and representation about financial disputes.
  • The Australian Securities and Investments Commission for information on the obligations of credit providers. It deals with complaints about misleading and deceptive conduct in providing goods and services. 
  • ASIC’s MoneySmart for how to complain about financial services and products and download example complaint letters.
  • Australian Financial Complaints Authority for complaints about financial firms.
  • YourToolkit - is a detailed web-based resource containing information that is tailored to help women facing family violence and financial abuse. It contains information about personal finances and other relevant information including keeping safe, available emergency support services, Centrelink, and accommodation.


Reviewed: 11 December 2023


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.