Parenting orders in the Family Court

Going to Family Court can be a lengthy and expensive process. It can take up to or more than a year to reach the trial stage of a children’s matter. Many people find the process very stressful and if not managed carefully, it can also have a negative impact on your children.

You should get legal advice to explain your options and help you decide if going to court is the best option for you (and for your children).

Before starting a parenting case in the Family Court, the law says that you must try to reach an agreement on arrangements for the children by participating in Family Dispute Resolution, unless there is a good reason not to.

The Family Court of WA has produced the following video about Child Related Proceedings.


The information in this section will help you understand what happens if you need to start a case for parenting orders in the Family Court. Find out:

  • the court process for parenting cases and the role of different people who can be involved in a case
  • how the court decides how much time the children will spend with each parent and other things, and
  • what can happen if someone doesn't follow parenting orders made by the court.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.