Orders to help keep you safe

If you are in immediate danger, phone 000. For non-emergency help from the police, call 131 444.

There are different types of orders that can be made to help keep you safe.

The police have the power to make a restraining order when they are investigating and responding to situations that involve family violence. These are usually temporary orders that last for up to 72 hours. 

You can also ask the court to make orders to protect you and members of your family for longer periods of time. This section provides information about:

  • Family Violence Restraining Orders made by the Magistrates Court
  • Personal protection injunctions made by the Family Court.

How can a Family Violence Restraining Order help keep you safe?

If you are worried about your safety and want a current or former partner or another family member to stop doing certain things - for example, stop them from approaching you, coming to your house or calling/texting you, then you may wish to consider applying for a Family Violence Restraining Order (FVRO). 

If a FVRO is breached by the person bound by the order:

  • it can be enforced by the police, and
  • it is a criminal offence and serious penalties apply including imprisonment in some cases.

For more information about FVRO's for adults or children visit Restraining orders

Can the Family Court make orders to help keep you safe? 

Yes. If you have a case in the Family Court, you can also ask the Family Court to make a personal protection injunction. Personal protection injunctions are orders made by the Family Court that restrain another person from doing certain things. The Family Court has the power to make injunctions for the protection of children, a parent or someone else involved in the child's life. For example, an injunction to restrain someone from removing the children from your case, restraining someone from attending the children's school or restraining someone from consuming drugs or alcohol while spending time with the children.  

It is not a criminal offence if a person breaches a Family Court personal protection injunction and the police will not usually get involved. If a person breaches an injunction, you can apply to the Family Court to deal with the breach and the court may impose penalties. 


Reviewed: 4 March 2020



The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.