Dividing property

After you have separated or divorced, you will usually need to make arrangements about your property and finances.

All property from the relationship can be divided, including superannuation. All property is to be considered in a property split - it makes no difference who legally 'owns' the property, who bought it, or who used it.

You may be able to reach an agreement about dividing property, and other financial arrangements, by discussing these matters directly with your former partner, or perhaps by attending Family Dispute Resolution.

If you are unable to reach an agreement with your ex-partner, you may need to make an application to the Family Court for a decision to be made about how property from the relationship should be divided.

The information in this section will help you to understand what you can do about dividing property and finances following separation.

amica - Simple, smart separation

amica is a secure online tool which helps separating couples reach agreement about both parenting and property disputes.


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.