Get help with criminal charges

You may need legal advice and representation if you are appearing in court on a criminal charge.

Where can I get legal advice if I need to go to court?

  • Pay for a private lawyer if you can afford it.
  • See the Legal Aid duty lawyer on the day if you are appearing in the Magistrates Court.
  • Contact Legal Aid WA's Infoline on 1300 650 579 for general information or a referral.
  • Apply for a grant of legal aid if the charge is serious enough and you can’t afford to pay your own lawyer.

If you can’t get legal advice before you go to court you can ask the Magistrate to put your matter off to another day. This is called an adjournment.

Legal Aid’s duty lawyer service can give you advice on a range of matters if you are appearing in the Magistrates Court, but cannot represent you at trial

Grants of aid are normally not available for charges that will be dealt with in the Magistrates Court, unless there are special circumstances.



Reviewed: 11 April 2018


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.