Get help with traffic offences

How can Legal Aid WA help?

The Duty Lawyer Service may be able to assist with traffic offences if:

  • you are appearing in a Magistrates Court outside of the metropolitan area  
  • you are appearing in the Children’s Court (in any location)
  • the duty lawyer is assisting you with criminal charges at the same time, or
  • you are in a general arrest/remand court list and a sentence of imprisonment is a possible maximum penalty for one of your traffic offences.

If you are not sure, you can ask to see the duty lawyer on the day.  Please understand that the duty lawyer might not be able to help with your traffic charges. 

Grants of aid for a lawyer to represent you are generally not available for matters in the Magistrates Court, except in exceptional circumstances for very serious offences.

Contact us

Call the Infoline or contact your nearest Legal Aid WA office to find out what help we can give for your situation. If we can’t help, we may be able to refer you to someone else who can.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter.

Where else can I get legal help?

There are many private lawyers who offer advice and representation for traffic matters. The Law Society of WA has a directory of its members you can use to find a lawyer.

Can I represent myself?

It is not uncommon for people to represent themselves in court on traffic matters, especially if the offence will not result in a serious penalty or consequence. For many traffic offences, being convicted can result driver's licence disqualification. For some offences, imprisonment is a possible penalty that can be imposed.

If imprisonment or another serious consequence is an option for the court when dealing with your charge, you should get legal advice before you enter any plea to the charge and it may be better to have legal representation in court.

The information on the other pages in this section and in the detailed information sheets below, can help you decide how serious your offence is, what the penalties could be, and whether or not you should get legal advice or representation. 

Resources from Legal Aid WA


Reviewed: 10 June 2024


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.