Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Text Size
  Print Print this page

Immigration services

Immigration services

What legal services are available in immigration matters?

Legal Aid WA provides limited assistance in immigration matters. 

Legal aid may be available if your immigration matter relates to a court case in the Federal Court or High Court and

  • there is no guide on a point of law
  • there is a difference of opinion between judges, or
  • the proceedings challenge whether detention is lawful (this does not include challenging a decision about a visa or deportation order).

Contact Legal Aid WA's Infoline on 1300 650 579. You can ask for an appointment to be made with an interpreter. 

Legal Aid WA has one lawyer who is a registered migration agent. The Migration Agent Registration Number is 0102178. The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority website has a copy of the Code of Conduct which regulates the conduct of registered migration agents. 

Where can I get more information?

  • Contact The Humanitarian Group on (08) 9227 7311. It provides professional and accessible migration assistance, legal advice and education to people new to WA from culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) backgrounds including humanitarian visa holders, asylum seekers, refugees and people who are otherwise disadvantaged in their access to legal services.  Services provided include in relation to:
        • Protection visas: these are visas issued to people outside of their home country who cannot return home because they are at risk of persecution or serious human rights violations.
        • Temporary protection visas (TPVs) Project: this project has been set up to provide assistance for the approximately 2,000 asylum seekers currently living in WA who arrived by boat between August 2012 and December 2013 who are subject to a fast track assessment process to determine their eligibility for TPVs.
        • Family reunion: when people are forced to leave their home country due to a fear of persecution or serious human rights violations, they are often separated from their family who may still be in serious danger. The Humanitarian Group works with these people to help reunite them with their families.
        • General legal help: working with people from CaLD backgrounds seeking general legal advice. It helps them understand the law and exercise their rights as well as referring them to other organisations for further help in settling in Australia.
        • Administrative review assistance: providing various levels of information, advice and help for administrative review for people who have received negative migration decisions.  
  • Contact Centrecare on (08) 9325 6644. It has a migration advice service and provides assistance to newly arrived migrants and refugees to settle in WA.
  • The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority website contains further information about migration agents and how to find an agent.

Last reviewed: 20/07/2016

Last modified: 14/09/2017 3:17 PM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.