Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Text Size
  Print Print this page

Legal Aid WA information sheets

Legal Aid WA information sheets

Natural disaster information sheets

These information sheets may help with debt, insurance, renting and other issues if you have been affected directly by natural disasters such as floods or bushfires. You can download the information sheets here:

Criminal, traffic and other offences

These information sheets may help you if you are under investigation, charged or convicted in relation to a criminal, traffic or other offence.

 Answering questions from the police

 Appearing in court on a criminal charge

 Being a surety

 DNA testing by police

 Extraordinary driver's licences


 Infringement notices

 Licence suspension order for non-payment of a fine or infringement

 Police powers to arrest and detain

 Police powers to search

 Powers of Transit Officers

 References for court

 Spent conviction order at time of sentence

 Traffic offences

 Wiping away an old conviction.


Independent Children's Lawyer information sheet

When parents can not agree and that Family Court is concerned that a child's interests are not properly being brought to its attention, it may order a child to be separately represented by a lawyer. Representation by an Independent Children's Lawyer may help the court to make decisions that are in the best interest of your child. 

Legal Aid WA has written an information sheet for parents to help explain the role of the Independent Children's Lawyer, what they do and how, as parents, you can help ensure the best interests of your children are heard by the court. Click on the link to download a copy of the Independent Children's Lawyers in the Family Court information sheet.   


Compensation for victims of crime

           Compensation for victims of crime


Complaints about the police

          Complaints about the police


Disposal of uncollected goods

          Disposal of uncollected goods


Going to court for a debt

          Starting a general procedure claim in the Magistrates Court of WA

          Starting a minor case claim in the Magistrates Court of WA

          Defending a civil case in the Magistrates Court of WA


Matters after death

           Challenging an unfair will or distribution under the Administration Act.

           Duties of an executor

           Dying without a will


Motor vehicle accidents

If your car has been damaged in a motor vehicle accident this information sheet may help you:

Motor vehicle accidents -dealing with the damage.


Protection and care matters

These information sheets may help you if you have a protection and care case at the Children's Court of WA:

Grandparents - protection and care (grandchildren)
Protection orders in the Children's Court of WA
Preparing for a final hearing in a protection and care matter in the Children's Court of WA
Representing yourself at a final hearing for a protection and care matter in the Children's Court of WA.

Restraining orders

These information sheets may help if you are either an applicant or a respondent in a restraining order matter:

About your safety (for applicants in VROs)
Misconduct restraining orders
Violence restraining orders - information
Violence restraining orders - court process
Representing yourself as an applicant in a family and domestic violence VRO final hearing
Responding to a restraining order application
Undertakings in violence restraining order and misconduct restraining order proceedings
Preparing as a respondent for a restraining order final hearing
Representing yourself as a respondent at a restraining order final hearing
After a restraining order is made.


Visa cancellation

              Mandatory visa cancellation on character grounds.


Last reviewed: 03/07/2014

Last modified: 10/02/2017 3:15 PM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.