Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

Elder abuse

Elder abuse

What is elder abuse?

If you are an older person who is being harmed by the actions of a person or people within an informal relationship of trust, eg by family or friends, you may be experiencing elder abuse. Elder abuse is wrong. In some cases it may be a criminal offence.

Abuse can take many forms. This includes: 

  • financial
  • emotional or psychological
  • social
  • neglect
  • physical
  • sexual.

Abuse could be from a partner, another family member or another person who lives with you at home or in a residential facility, or a neighbour or carer.

What can I do if I am experiencing violence or abuse?

If you feel your rights are being abused, you can contact Advocare. You may also be able to get information and referral from the Legal Aid WA Infoline (details are below under the heading Where can I get more information?).

What can I do if I think an older person is being abused?

Advocare, or if you think the person has a decision-making disability, the Office of the Public Advocate may be able to assist you.

Where can I get more information?

  • Contact the Elder Abuse Hotline on 1300 724 679.
  • Contact Advocare on (08) 9479 7566 or freecall 1800 655 566 (for country callers) or visits its website for information on the free advocacy service it provides for older adults experiencing elder abuse.
  • Visit the WA Department of Communities website for information on elder abuse for victims, potential victims and the general public. It has hints on preventing elder abuse.
  • Visit the WA Police website for more information on how the police may be able to assist.
  • Contact the Elder Law Services Northern Suburbs Commuity Legal Centre Inc on (08) 9440 1663 (Mirrabooka) or 9301 4413 (Joondalup) for legal advice, information, referral and crisis counselling for older people who are experiencing elder abuse or are at risk of being abused.
  • Contact the Legal Aid WA Infoline on 1300 650 579 for information and referral.
  • Contact the Office of the Public Advocate on 1300 858 455  for information and advice about older people with reduced decision-making capacity.

Last reviewed: 30/01/2015

Last modified: 6/11/2017 1:53 PM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.