Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

Seniors/older people

Seniors/older people


Most legal inquiries made to Legal Aid WA from seniors and older people involve questions about Wills or Problems with neighbours. The Information about the law section of the Legal Aid WA website has specific information about these and other issues that may be helpful to you. Further information may also be obtained by calling the Legal Aid WA InfoLine on 1300 650 579.  


Further legal and other community services providing information for seniors and older people are listed below. These services are not Legal Aid WA services. Legal Aid WA expressly disclaims any liability and responsibility for the advice and information provided by non Legal Aid WA services and advises there may be other organisations able to provide you with advice and information that are not included on this website. 

Community services

Advocare (Inc) provides an advice and advocacy service to people living in aged residential care or who are receiving community care services and who are concerned about the services being provided. Staff also provide information and support to family members and carers who are worried about the welfare of people in residential care. For more information, contact Advocare on (08) 9479 7566 or 1800 655 566.

Council on the Ageing (WA) Inc website provides a range of information about services that offer discounts to seniors and older people in Western Australia including discounts at restaurant, reduced insurance premiums for over 50s. The website also provides a range of information about health care research and services that provide support to seniors and older people. For more information, visit the website or contact the Council on Ageing (WA) Inc on (08) 9472 0104.

Government services

 Australian Securities & Investment Commission MoneySmart website has a range of information for people over 55.  There is information to help plan for retirement including financial calculators for superannuation and mortgages, information about government benefits and services as well as a range of healthcare and lifestyle resources.  For more information, visit the MoneySmart Over 55 website.

Australian Human Rights Commission provides information and advice about making a discrimination complaint under Commonwealth law.  For more information, you can contact the Australian Human Rights Commission on 1300 656 419 or email The guide, Your Rights at Retirement, aims to help people carefully navigate the complex decisions, services and supports that are part of planning and managing their retirement.

Department of the Attorney General website provides general information about Enduring Power of Attorney, Guardianship and Becoming an Administrator in circumstances where people are unable to make decisions that are in their best interest. For more information, contact the Department of the Attorney General on (08) 9264 1600 or the Office of the Public Advocate on 1300 858 455.

Department of Commerce Seniors' Housing Centre provides an information service to seniors thinking about changing their housing situation. The information available includes regulations governing retirement villages, residential parks and lifestyle villages, granny flats and aged care facilities.  For more information contact the Seniors' Housing Centre on 1300 367 057.

Department for Local Government and Communities has a dedicated website for Seniors with links to information and support services including discounts and concessions available to WA Seniors Card holders, a resource guide for Grandparents raising Grandchildren and links to information about volunteeringThe website also has links to pamphlets and information sheets on elder abuse for victims, potential victims and hints on preventing elder abuse. You can also access the brochure Family Agreements: Knowing your rights and responsibilities. This is a guide to assist seniors plan their finances for the future. For more information contact the Department for Local Government and Communities on (08) 6551 8700

Centrelink has a range of information and services available to assist seniors and older people plan for their retirement.  These include information about social security entitlements and concession cards and access to a financial information services. Centrelink publishes a quarterly newsletter providing information about entitlements and services for seniors and older people. For more information, contact the Centrelink Seniors Information Line on 132 300.

Department of Health and Ageing has an online referral directory linking to government and community services in Western Australia that provide services to seniors, older people and carers. For more information, visit the website or contact the Department of Health and Ageing on 1800 198 008. 

Department of Veterans' Affairs staff provide a range of health care and counselling, home care assistance, financial assistance and support service to war widows and widowers, veterans and their dependants. For more information, contact the Department of Veterans' Affairs on 133 254.

Department of Social Services website has links to a range of government and community programs that provide services to seniors and older people. The website also has links to information about grants and funding for organisations that provides services for seniors and older people and also links to information about payments and benefits available



Last reviewed:31/07/2013

Last modified: 4/11/2015 1:44 PM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.