Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

People with disabilities

People with disabilities


Interpreting services 

Legal Aid WA uses the services of accredited and confidential interpreters where needed. Please let our staff know if you need an interpreter when making an appointment. Appointments can be made in person at any Legal Aid WA office or through the Legal Aid WA Infoline on 1300 650 579. 

You may also find the following accredited interpreting services helpful:

Most legal inquiries made to Legal Aid WA from people with disabilities are for information about making complaints or dealing with discrimination issues. The Information about the law section of the Legal Aid WA website has information about Being treated fairly  that may be helpful. For more information, contact the Legal Aid WA Infoline on 1300 650 579.  

Further legal and community services providing information for people with disabilities are listed below. These services are not Legal Aid WA services. Legal Aid WA expressly disclaims any liability and responsibility for the advice and information provided by non Legal Aid WA services and advises there may be other organisations able to provide you with advice and information that are not included on this website.

Community services

People With disabilities WA Inc staff provide advocacy and support to all Western Australians who have physical, intellectual, psychiatric or sensory disabilities. For more information, contact People With disabilities WA on (08) 9485 8900 or 1800 193 331.

Disability Discrimination Unit (DDU) is a part of Sussex Street Community Law Service Inc. Staff provide a state-wide free, information, advice and advocacy service to people who have been discriminated against due to their disability. For more information, contact the Disability Discrimination Unit on (08) 6253 9500 or (08) 9470 2831 (for TTY).

Ethnic Disability Advocacy Centre staff assist people with disabilities, their families and carers, from non-English speaking or culturally diverse backgrounds to access mainstream services. For more information, contact the Ethnic Disability Advocacy Centre on (08) 9388 7455 or 1800 659 921.   

Mental Health Law Centre  is a state-wide community legal centre specialising in mental health law. Staff provide legal advice and representation to people who are involuntary patients in the mental health system. For more information, contact the Mental Health Law Centre on (08) 9328 8012 or 1800 620 285.

Government services  

National Disability Insurance Scheme in WA : this commenced in Swan, Kalamunda and Mundaring of Western Australia  on 1 July 2014 for people with disability, up to the age of 65. The NDIS is a new way of providing individualised support for eligible people with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers. For more information go to the NDIS website.

The State Government's WA NDIS My Way model started in the Lower South West on 1 July 2014, and Cockburn and Kwinana joined on 1 July 2015. For more information on when and where it will be expanded, and an online assessment to see if you are potentially eligible go to the WA NDIS My Way website.


Disability WA website provides a diverse range of information about government and community services that provide support to people with disabilities and their carers in Western Australia. The website also has a link to publications and  research information relevant to people with disabilities. For more information, contact Disability WA on (08) 9426 9200 or 1800 998 214 or (08) 132544 (for TTY).

Department of the Attorney General website provides general information about Enduring Power of Attorney, Guardianship and Becoming an Administrator in circumstances where people are unable to make decisions that are in their best interest. For more information, contact the Department of the Attorney General on (08) 9264 1600 or the Office of the Public Advocate on 1300 858 455.

Equal Opportunity Commission staff investigate and attempt to resolve complaints of discrimination under State law. For information about reporting incidents of discrimination or lodging a complaint, contact the Equal Opportunity Commission on (08) 9216 3900.

Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission staff investigate and attempt to resolve complaints of discrimination or breaches of human rights under Commonwealth law. For information about reporting incidents of discrimination or lodging a complaint, contact the Complaints Unit on (02) 9284 9888 or 1300 646 419.

Western Australia Police Service Community Diversity Unit staff are available to assist people with disabilities to access mainstream Police services. For more information, contact the Western Australia  Police Service on 131 444 or contact the Western Australia Police Service Community Diversity Unit on (08) 9222 1576.

Important: The telephone numbers listed above for the Western Australia Police Service are not the telephone numbers to be used in an emergency or life threatening situation. If you have an emergency or life threatening situation, contact the Western Australia Police Service on 000. 


 Last reviewed: 22/03/2013

Last modified: 9/02/2017 12:24 PM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.