Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples

Interpreting services

Legal Aid WA uses the services of accredited and confidential interpreters where needed. Please let our staff know if you need an interpreter when making an appointment. Appointments can be made in person at any Legal Aid WA office or through Legal Aid WA's Infoline on 1300 650 579.   

You may also find the following accredited interpreting services helpful: 

Legal Aid WA receives a number of calls each year from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who need help and advice about child protection or about Family Court issues. Legal Aid WA has a specialised service, Children's Court (Protection) Services, that provides information and advice to parents responding to a protection application made by the Department for Child Protection and Family Support. The Legal Aid WA website also has important information about How does the Family Court of WA deal with a children's case?, Children and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and Children - protection and care matters  that may be helpful if you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. You can also find general Information about the law on the Legal Aid WA website. 

More government and community services providing information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are listed below. These services are not Legal Aid WA services. Legal Aid WA expressly disclaims any liability and responsibility for the advice and information provided by non Legal Aid WA services and advises there may be other organisations able to provide you with advice and information that are not included on this website.

Community services

Aboriginal Alcohol and Drug Services Inc provides an assessment, treatment and referral program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples experiencing difficulties with drug use. They also offer training and support to families and people working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who are having difficulties with drugs. For more information, contact Aboriginal Alcohol and Drug Services on  (08) 9221 1411.  

Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia Inc (ALSWA) provides legal advice and assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples throughout Western Australia. ALSWA has offices at Albany, Broome, Bunbury, Carnarvon, Derby, Fitzroy Crossing, Geraldton, Halls Creek, Kalgoorlie, Kununurra, Laverton, Meekatharra, Newman, Northam, Roebourne and South Hedland. For more information, contact the Perth office of Aboriginal Legal Services on (08) 9265 6666 or 1800 019 900.

Aboriginal Health Council of WA provides accredited cross cultural training for people delivering health care service to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. For more information contact the Aboriginal Health Council of WA on (08) 6109 2000.

Aboriginal Hostels Limited provides temporary hostel accommodation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across Australia. You can find the locations and contact details for hostels in Western Australia on the website or contact the Aboriginal Hostels Limited  Perth office on (08) 6109 2000. 

Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service provides a wide range of health care services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. For more information contact Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service on (08) 9421 3888.  

Yorganop Association Incorporated staff provide cultural training to foster people who care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in short term or long term placements. Staff monitor foster care placements and liaise with government departments on behalf of family members to assist with family reunification. For more information contact Yorganop Association on  (08) 9321 9090.

Yorgum provides a confidential, community based counselling and referral service for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For more information contact Yorgum on (08) 9218 9477.

Government services

Aboriginal Workforce Development Centre (AWDC) works with employers to find job opportunities for Aboriginal people and a jobs board to see all the jobs available. Click here to visit the AWDC website to find out more information or call (08) 9224 6535 or 1800 441 043 (freecall).

Through you can access information about Australian Government policies and programmes.

Aboriginal Mediation Service provides a free dispute resolution service to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to help with inter and intra-family feuding. For more information, contact the Aboriginal Mediation Service on (08) 9264 6150 or 1800 045 577 (freecall).

Aboriginal Policy and Services Directorate staff work with Aboriginal community members to reduce the over representation of Aboriginal people in prisons. For more information, contact the Aboriginal Services Directorate on (08) 9264 6128.

Aboriginal Visitors Scheme (Department for Corrective Services) provides information, counselling and support to Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander peoples detained in prison, juvenile detention centres and police lockups in Western Australia. The service is also available to family members of the detainees. For more information, contact the Aboriginal Visitors Scheme on 1800 282 429.

Centrelink Indigenous Services provides information about a range of social security services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. For more information, contact the Centrelink Indigenous Call Centre on 1800 136 380. For repayment of a Centrelink debt call 1800 136 380.

Department of Aboriginal Affairs staff provide general information to the public about protocols and etiquette to follow when engaging with Indigenous people or when entering Aboriginal land. For more information, contact the Department of Aboriginal Affairs on 1300 651 077.

The Department of Commerce - Consumer Protection's website has additional information for Indigenous consumers including publications. 

Indigenous consumers and community organisations can report instances of unfair trading practices by ringing the National Indigenous Hotline on 1300 303 143.The hotline operates between 8.30am and 8pm Eastern Standard Time (6.30am-6pm in WA). Alternatively consumers can call 1300 30 40 54 to access the Department of Commerce Consumer Protection’s WA-based Indigenous community education officers. 

National Native Title Tribunal staff are available to accept and assess applications for Native Title, provide information about the Native Title processes and mediate Native Title claims. Information from The Register of Native Title Claims, the National Native Title Register and the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements can be obtained from the Tribunal. For more information, contact the Western Australia Perth office on (08) 9425 1000 or 1800 640 501 (freecall).  

Western Australia Police - the Aboriginal and Community Diversity Unit coordinates information, programs and advice on Aboriginal, multicultural  and community diversity issues impacting on WA Police. For more information, contact the Western Australia Police Aboriginal Unit on (08) 9222 1576.

Important: The telephone numbers listed above for the Western Australia Police are not the telephone numbers to be used in an emergency or life threatening situation. If you have an emergency or life threatening situation, contact the Western Australia Police on 000.


Last reviewed: 15/09/2016

Last modified: 28/09/2016 3:47 PM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.