Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

Going to Family Court - children

Going to Family Court - children

If you have attempted to sort out your issues around arrangements for your children and have been unable to reach an agreement, starting legal proceedings in the Family Court is a formal way to resolve your legal issues. There might also be some situations where you would need to go straight to court. 


Before you go to court - children

There are certain steps you must take to try to resolve your parenting issues before you can file an application to start a case in the Family Court of WA.  More...


How does the Family Court deal with a children's case

If you ask the Family Court to help resolve your dispute, the court will make decisions based on what it thinks is in the best interests of your children.  More...


Case assessment conference

A case assessment conference is an opportunity for the people involved in a Family Court parenting case to try to reach an agreement with the assistance of a family consultant.  More...


Can children speak in the Family Court

Children usually cannot speak directly to the court. A family consultant may meet with a child and if the child wishes, the child can express their views about their living arrangements and other issues.  More...


Independent children's lawyer (ICL) in the Family Court  

The independent children’s lawyer (ICL) is a lawyer appointed by the Family Court to represent the child’s interests in a parenting order case. The ICL will look at all the evidence in the case and tell the court what they think it is in the best interests of the child.  More... 


Independent expert in the Family Court - children's matters 

In parenting/children’s issues cases the Family Court may order a child psychologist or psychiatrist to make an assessment of the children, parents and other people involved in the case and then report to the court.  More...




Last reviewed: 16/02/2015

Last modified: 18/09/2015 8:08 AM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.