Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

Children - protection and care

Children - protection and care


What you can do when the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) is involved with your family because of concerns it has for your children. Factors courts consider when making decisions about children. The difference between a child representative in the Children's Court, and an independent children's lawyer in the Family Court.


Family law and children at risk of harm

The law tries to protect children from harm, including from abuse, neglect and family violence. The law recognises that children can also be harmed through witnessing or being exposed to these things.  More...

Child representatives in the Children's Court

A child representative is a lawyer who acts for your child in a Children's Court protection and care case in much the same way that a lawyer acts for any person in court. In some cases your child has a chance to say what they want to happen in the protection and care case.  More...


Challenging decisions of the Department of Communities 

This information is for a child, or parent, or other relative, or foster carer who has a complaint about, or disagrees with a decision of the Department of Communities. It covers the review of care plan decisions and how to contact the Advocate for Children in Care.  More...


Protection and care matters - Department of Communities is involved with your family

Protection and care matters involve the Department of Communities. It is a Western Australian government department with authority to remove a child from their family if it considers that the child is in need of protection.  More...

Protection and care matters - court process

If your child has been taken into care and your case is at the Children's Court  this information may help you.  The law sets out what the court has to take into account. More...

Protection orders in the Children's Court

There are four types of final protection orders in the Children's Court.  These can be revoked (or cancelled) in some situations. More...

Grandparents -protection and care (grandchildren)

If you are a grandparent concerned for the wellbeing of your grandchildren you may want to know what some of your options are. More...


Last reviewed: 04/07/2014


Last modified: 25/10/2017 9:49 AM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.