Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Text Size
  Print Print this page

Family violence support services

Family violence support services


If you are in danger, phone the Police on 000.

Daisy is an app that connects women around Australia to services. It is available from the Google Play or the App Store.

For information about things you may do if you are at risk of domestic violence, see Legal Aid WA's Information Sheet: About your safety

Go to eSafetyWomen to access resources that may help you manage online risks and abuse.

Click here for access to videos on smartphone safety for survivors of family violence..

There are many support services available if you are experiencing family violence. Legal Aid WA's specialised Domestic Violence Legal Unit (DVLU) provides legal advice and assistance to women about family violence issues.  You can contact the DVLU on 1300 650 579 

Djinda Services at Perth can provide assistance in family law (children's issues), child protection, family violence restraining orders and criminal injuries (where related to family violence) to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples, or whose partner or children are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island peoples who are experiencing family violence (not perpetrators). Contact Djinda Services at Women's Law Service on (08) 9200 2202 for legal help and Djinda Services at Relationships Australia on (08) 6164 0650 for advocacy and support.

See Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention Legal Service for the contact details of other services in regional areas.

Accommodation assistance

If you are concerned about your safety or the safety of your children and you have nowhere to go, there are refuges for women that may be able to help you. They can provide temporary shelter, protection and support 24 hours a day. They may be able to assist you to get longer-term housing and put you in touch with welfare and legal services.

For more information and referrals about services, contact:

Other services

  • To talk to a counsellor online about any issues that you need urgent help and support with, go to 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).  This is a free, (*some call charges may apply if you are calling from a mobile phone) national counselling service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Confidential counselling, information, advice and referrals can be provided for victims of sexual assault and family and domestic violence.
  • Connect Groups provide an online directory of support groups.
  • Domestic Violence Advocacy Service on (08) 63305400. 
  • Domestic Violence Children's Counselling Service on (08) 9328 1888 from 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday offers counselling for children and their families experiencing family and domestic violence.
  • Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 from 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday and 10.00am till 4.00pm Saturday for services to support families.
  • Family Violence Service (Department of Justice  WA) provides information and support to people who have experienced or are affected by family violence.
  • Kids Help Line on 1800 551 800 offer online counselling services and a 24-hour telephone counselling service.
  • Multicultural Women's Advocacy Service on (08) 9328 1200 or (08) 9227 8122 for special help for women and children from non-English speaking backgrounds.
  • Sexual Assault Resource Centre provides a free, 24 hour emergency service for people who have been sexually assaulted. For more information, contact the 24 hour emergency line on (08) 9340 1828 or 1800 199 888.
  • WA Police Service: Family and Domestic Violence for more information about the police response to family violence.
  • Women's Domestic Violence Helpline on (08) 9223 1188 or 1800 007 339.
  • Men's Domestic Violence Helpline on (08) 9223 1199 or 1800 000 599.
  • Contact the Safety and Security for Women Project (SAS) at the Women's Council for Domestic and Family Violence Services (WA) on (08) 9420 7264. This project assists women and children to remain safely in their own home after separating from their violent partner/family member by providing financial support to enhance their security.
  • Women's Health Service - Family and Domestic Violence Services for information on services.
  • Name Suppression is a service available from Landgate if your personal safety or your family's safety is at risk. The service suppresses details of your address and your interests in property on WA's Land Title Register (the register) and in the book of Powers of Attorney lodged at Landgate where a person conducts a name search of the Register. You can get a copy of a Name Suppression Application Pack which includes FAQs from Landgate.

  • Australia Post has a free 12 month mail redirection service for family violence victims. To be eligible victims must present either a restraining order, statutory declaration from the police, or notice on an approved letterhead from a supporting agency. You can view the service and general mail redirection terms and conditions here.

Where can I get more information?

  • If the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) is involved, see Protection and care matters - DOC is involved with your family or the Family Protection Officer at the relevant police station.
  • The Department of Human Services (Cth) has produced a Family Safety Pack available in 46 languages. The pack aims to address violence against women from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds by providing information about Australia's laws and a woman's right to be safe. The pack includes factsheets on domestic and family violence

Click here if you want to navigate away from this page quickly.


Last reviewed: 15/09/2016


Last modified: 29/06/2017 10:06 AM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.