The Legal Aid WA Domestic Violence Legal Unit assists women who are experiencing domestic violence.
Services we provide
Legal Aid WA's Domestic Violence Legal Unit advises and assists women with restraining order matters. Services include:
- speaking to the police and ensuring that appropriate criminal charges are laid against the person who has been violent or has threatened physical violence
- advising and assisting women to get restraining orders against the person committing domestic violence
- ensuring prompt service in the matters of restraining orders
- providing brief counselling, safety planning and referrals to relevant agencies when ongoing counselling and support is required
- representing women in court for restraining order hearings where legal aid has been granted
- providing initial advice and referrals on other matters, which may arise when trying to escape domestic violence. These may include family law, property law matters and criminal injury compensation.
For women who are non-English speaking, the unit can arrange for an interpreter to be present, free of charge.
Information and referrals can also be provided on non-legal matters such as:
The Domestic Violence Legal Unit (DVLU) is open from 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday - Friday. For more information, please call the Legal Aid WA InfoLine on 1300 650 579.
In an emergency and if you fear for the safety of yourself or your children, telephone 000 and ask for the police.
Click here for more information on Family and domestic violence.
If, at any time, you need urgent advice or information, telephone the 24 hour Crisis Care Unit on (08) 9325 1111 or 1800 199 008.
Men can access the 24 hour Men's Domestic Violence Helpline for advice on (08) 9223 1199 or 1800 000 599.
Click here if you want to navigate away from this page quickly.
Last reviewed: 06/07/2015