Legal Aid WA's Information Line (InfoLine) provides a range of legal information and referrals to the general public from across the state. The aim of the service is to assist callers to resolve their problems at their first point of contact by providing a range of services including:
- providing legal information about areas of law relevant to their enquiry
- assisting callers further with their legal issues by providing them with relevant additional information sheets, booklets and legal aid application forms
- booking appointments statewide for legal advice or minor assistance
- providing information about other Legal Aid WA services that are available to assist clients
- providing referrals to other appropriate agencies.
The position of Information Officer can be highly demanding. Our Information Officers deal with callers who can be in situations that cause them to be emotional and difficult to communicate with.
Information Officers come from a wide variety of backgrounds, you do not need to have a legal background to work on the InfoLine. We are looking for people with good interpersonal skills, and the ability to deal with difficult or aggressive clients in a courteous and effective manner.
Ongoing training and support
We support new recruits through the steep learning curve attached to the role of Information Officer by providing an initial intensive training program, as well as ongoing support and guidance.
Hours of work
Our InfoLine is staffed by approximately ten Information Officers at any one time. Information Officers generally work two or three shifts per week. Shifts are four hours long and are from 8.30am - 12.30pm or from 12.30 - 4.30pm.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for work as an Information Officer at Legal Aid WA, contact IPA on (08) 9463 1999.
Comment from an Information Officer
"Working on the InfoLine at Legal Aid WA has been an excellent, eye-opening experience. I have gained an insight into how the practical side of the law works in real life, and this can only be beneficial. The people are wonderful to work with, making it a joy to go to work."
Contact: Human Resources
Tel: (08) 9261 6496
Fax: (08) 9325 1925
Last reviewed: 29/04/16