Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Quick Launch

Text Size
  Print Print this page

Youth and children

Youth and children


Legal Aid WA services for youth

Most legal inquiries made to Legal Aid WA from young people are about employment issues, appearing in the Children's Court and making complaints about Railway Police. Legal Aid WA has a specialised team of lawyers in the Youth Law Team that provide legal assistance to young people who have been charged with a criminal offence. 

The Information about the law section of the Legal Aid WA website has information about the Powers of railway police, Making a complaint, Dealing with police and security officers, Social media - be careful what you say or send! and Employment - pay and conditions that may be helpful to young people. Additional information may also be obtained by calling the Legal Aid WA InfoLine on 1300 650 579.  

Legal Aid WA has recently launched a cyber safety app. Below the Belt: Sex Selfies and Cyberbullying has free legal information for young people across Australia about sex and consent, sending sexy pics (sexting) and cyberbullying.


Community services

Other legal and community services that provide information for young people are listed below. These services are not Legal Aid WA services. Legal Aid WA expressly disclaims any liability and responsibility for the advice and information provided by non Legal Aid WA services and advises there may be other organisations able to provide you with advice and information that are not included on this website.

Youthbeyondblue is a not-for-profit organisation working to address issues associated with depression, anxiety and related disorders in Australia. Beyond Blue operates an information line that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For more information, check out the Youthbeyondblue website or call the information line on 1300 224 636.

Bursting the Bubble website has information for young people, written in simple terms, about issues such as family and domestic violence, child abuse and sexual abuse to help them identify situations of risk. There are strategies to help young people keep safe and links to services that provide help and support to families.

Kids HelpLine is a confidential and anonymous, 24 hour telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25. There is link on the website for adults that provides information about the services that Kids Helpline offer for children. For more information, contact the Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800.

Lawstuff is an online legal information and referral website for children managed by the National Children's and Youth Law Centre. For more information, visit the website or contact Lawstuff on (02) 9385 9588.

Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia staff provide training for people working in the youth sector, conduct research and provide information to the government about issues facing young people in Australia. For more information, visit the website or contact the Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia on (08) 9227 5440 or 1800 670 231.

Youth Focus staff provide a range of services for young people aged 12 - 18 years, who are showing early signs associated with suicide. They offer individual and family counselling services, peer support programs and mentoring programs. For more information, contact Youth Focus on (08) 6266 4333.

Youth Legal Service provides free confidential legal services to young people in Western Australia. For more information, contact Youth Legal Services on (08) 9202 1688 or 1800 199 006.

Youthline staff provide a 24 hour telephone crisis counselling service to young people in Western Australia. An online Directory of Youth Services is available on the website. For more information about the service or to speak to a counsellor, contact Youthline on (08) 9388 2500 or 1800 198 313. 

Government services

Advocate for Children in Care helps young people sort out problems with placement arrangements and other decisions made on their behalf by the Department for Child Protection and Family Support while they are in care. The Advocate for Children in Care can be contacted on (08) 9222 2518 or 1800 460 696 or after hours on 0429 086 508 (leave a message or text).

Bullying, No Way! is an educational website for Australian school communities and the general public.

Centrelink website provides information about social security entitlements available for young people. 

The Line is an interactive website that aims to increase the knowledge of young people about what it takes to build respectful and healthy relationships. The website uses a range of multimedia techniques (including comic stories, video clips and forums) to provide information about bullying, discrimination, respect, positive communication and tips on how to change negative behaviour and promote healthy, positive relationships. 

Family Relationships Online - For Children is a Commonwealth government website providing information to young people in simple language about issues such as foster care, family relationship breakdown and keeping safe.

Office for Youth website provides information and referrals for young people, parents, carers and the general public about issues that concern young people.  For more information, visit the website or contact the Office for Youth on (08) 6217 8400 or 1800 281 116.

The MoneySmart website has information for young people about range of financial issues including tips about renting, managing credit, study debt and insurance, as well as a a number of online budget calculators. For more information, visit the MoneySmart website.  

The ThinkUKnow website has information for parents, carers, teachers and young people about internet safety and combating cyber bullying.  


Last reviewed: 26/09/2012

Last modified: 31/03/2015 10:41 AM


The information displayed on this page is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should see a lawyer. Legal Aid Western Australia aims to provide information that is accurate, however does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided on this page or incorporated into it by reference.